Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Almost done!

Two more days. I can´t believe it. I am sort of ready to come home but I am also sad to be leaving new friends behind. I can´t wait to see my neices. I hear that my littlest niece can sit up now! This week the heat is awful. And so are the mosquitos. Even with bug spray they are eating me alive. Today I decided that even though I would get lots and lots of stares, I was wearing shorts. Women don´t wear shorts much here. But I am too hot to care. Needless to say, the men here had much to say about the fact that I was scantily clad. Loudly. From busses. From houses. Everywhere. How annoying.
OK top ten Dominican phrases that I hear here on a daily basis:

Como tu'ta? How are you?
Tienes un novio? Do you have a boy friend?
Quieres un novio? Do you want a boy friend?
Oy, rubia! Hey blondie!
Griga! American!
Mi amor! o Linda, Bella, etc. No translation necessary.
Buenas Lazy way of saying hi
Si, claro! Yes of course
Entiendes? Do you understand?
Tu bailas? Tu? Salsa? You dance? You? Salsa? increible

No comments: