Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A new week in the Dominican Republic

So today is my second Wednesday and I am definately becoming more and more accustomed to the way of life here. I could even see myself returning someday. There are things that I definately don't like. But there are things that I do like as well. Today I had an interesting experience. My Spanish teacher is an English teacher as well and she took us to meet her English students at the university. They prepared these presentations for us about Dominican culture. About holidays and dance and food.... They were so excited and scared because they had to present in English. It was very cute. They even brought us in food to try and we danced with them. :) Very fun.
So I have been having fun every day lately, going and doing lots of things. Last week when I lived so far away I only went to school and home but now, I go out a lot. Yesterday I convinced my afternoon teacher that we should have class in a clothing store. So we went shopping for shirts for me while we talked in Spanish. I am happy to say that I am quite conversational in Spanish now, when people speak slowly and clearly. But I still have a very hard time understanding anything that people on the street say to me. They use a lot of slang and their accent is very hard to understand. Anyway, after class one of the girls that works there at the school and I went to McDonalds (IT HAS AIRCONITIONING!!!!!) This is the first American food I have had. I ate a lot! Hamburger, french fries, coke, mcflurry.... So funny because I don't eat this kind of food at home. :) After that, I went to dance class which is still fun. They all love me there. The woman who owns the place (who I thought was mean in the beginning) LOVES me. I feel like I am at home because everyone knows me there now. It is nice to feel comfortable again...finally. Anyway, in the evening I went to a restaurant to hear a band play.
Now the bad news... I am sick. Again. I got a sore throat last night and I was worried about all kinds of things being wrong with me but when I got home Dona Gloria (my hostess) said that she had a cold and I knew that I was getting a cold.... so of course when I woke up I was all stuffy and felt gross. It has been a long, tiring day. I hope I feel better tomorrow...

No comments: