Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Back at the Internet Cafe

Es muy barrato (cheap) to use the internet cafe, so I will probably use it often! Yay! Yesterday I went to the first salsa class and it was HARD! We did similar footwork to what we do in Houston but the names of everything are different so it was hard to remember what I was supposed to do when they called things out. One of the salseros speaks a little English and sometimes he would whisper to me ¨Suzy-Q´s ahora¨ because he knew that is what it is called in English. Tee hee. Anyway, the teacher is very demanding and she doesn´t put up with nonsense. By the way, mis estudiantes, I have a LOT of homework every night so you can feel happy that your teacher is doing more homework than you.
So, the carros publicos... this is the way many people get around in Santo Domingo. The are like Taxis but they smush 2 people up from with the driver and 4 in the back. They don´t take you where ever you want. They go on a route and you can get in and out by asking the driver to stop. they don´t look like anything special. They are usually old cars and sometimes have a green roof. If you see a lot of people smushed into a car, you know it is probably a carro publico. They cost about 50 cents unless you are going far. From my house to the school is almost a dollar. But if I take a taxi it is $5. But it is not comfortable in the carros publicos and is especially scary when your spanish is bad. However, I did it this morning and it was fine. Still not sure if I am moving. I might be moving in with a family that is housing those chicos that are in my class with me. They have an extra room and it is mas circa (much closer). OK. Talk to you all soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm leaving today. Can't believe that I've been at work every day this week. Anyway, we had those carros publicos en Cuba. It was really funny, cuz I would try not to speak at all b/c foreigners weren't supposed to us them. One time the guy made fun of me b/c I slammed the door to his car. At least he forgot about being mad with me once he realized I wasn't Cuban.